Last modified: September 28, 2021
Why Enroll at Independence?
Our Mission Statement
Independence High School inspires students to be responsible, embrace learning, and become productive citizens.
Each of us learns in a different way. Some of us love to interact with other students and teachers, while others do better by working independently. Some students learn by listening; others need to “see it” or “experience it” to do well in school. Students with different learning styles may learn best within an alternative structure. Independence High School may be a good choice if:
- You have a hard time passing classes
- You learn best in smaller classes and groups
- You’re worried about getting behind on credits for graduation
At Independence High School, our smaller size and focus on each individual student helps you find and use the learning style that works best for you:
- IHS will help you become more independent and successful.
- IHS will enable you to earn your high school diploma and open up an expanded world of opportunity.
- IHS will prepare you for the next step in life, whether it be college or vocational training.
- IHS will help you develop the skills you need to pursue your dreams!
- Students flow into IHS from other high schools in Provo City School District (Provo High and Timpview High), or from high schools outside the district.
- You can stay for a minimum of one semester.
- Students can return to their home high school if ready.
OUR GOALS – YOUR GOALS
To listen, read, write, and speak effectively
To think, reason, analyze, and figure
To acknowledge, support, participate, and lead respectfully
What We Offer To Assist You…
Small Class Sizes
- Students receive more individual attention.
- A faculty and staff team will visit each student’s home.
- 15-20 students per class.
Structured, Safe, Welcoming Environment
- Early out Friday every week
- Every student is assigned a Teacher Advisor
- Closed campus
- Specific dress policy
- No tardy policy
- No hall passes
- School-wide discipline policy
- We adhere to the Provo City School District Safe School Policy
- Credit recovery options through Friday classes, after school, home study packets & online
- Individualized Graduation Plans
- Hybrid Schedule: 12 periods means more credit opportunities
- Teachers know who students are and want them to graduate on time
- Comprehensive guidance program for every student
- Students are valued and supported by staff
- Students accept and care for each other
- Students learn leadership and teamwork while completing work tailored to meet the needs of their Student Education Occupational Plan (SEOP)
- With smaller class sizes and individualized instruction, students show improvement in reading, writing, and math
Highly Trained Faculty
- Early dismissal time on Fridays provides time for weekly in-service training and collaboration between teachers
- Teachers are trained to be responsive to specific student issues and concerns.
- Our Language Arts teachers are ESOL endorsed
- Independence High School fields competitive after-school athletic teams (boys basketball, girls soccer, and others based on available resources)
A class where military techniques teach students leadership and teamwork. Available activities include:
- High Adventure Team
- Drill Team
- Color Guard
- Rifle Marksmanship
- Summer Camp
(Mountainlands Applied Technology Center)
IHS students, during their senior year, can earn elective credit towards graduation. A class fee only will be charged – not a registration fee. Students can also apply this elective credit towards certification through MATC in the following career areas:
- Computer Technology
- Multimedia Graphics
- Building Construction
- Chef Preparation
- Travel and Tourism
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Medical Assistant
- Nursing Assistant
- Veterinary Assistant
- Dental Assistant
After Hours Program
A variety of programs and activities at IHS are also available after hours:
- Academic classes
- Tutoring – Gear Up tutors from UVU assist students in math classes and after school
- FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America)
- DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America)
Enrollment at Independence High School
- Each school year, we enroll approximately 270 students at IHS
- Students living in the Provo City School District can attend with a referral from their current school
- Students living outside the Provo City School District boundaries should call the district at 801-374-4800 for a referral