Course Description/Overview/Welcome Statement
All students in the Provo School District need Secondary Math 2 to graduate from high school. This is a full year 1 credit class. Because we are doing trimesters this year you will receive .5 of a credit for the first trimester and .5 of a credit if you take it a second trimester.
This class builds upon what was learned in Secondary Math 1, it is a mixture of Algebra, Geometry, and Statistics.
Homework: 10 points
Warm ups: 25 points (5 points a day)
Quizzes: 10-30 points
Tests: 50-100 points
Participation: 5 points a week
Hall passes (0-20 points extra credit if unused)
** extra credit is not given often, so plan on doing every homework assignment and redoing quizzes instead of planning on extra credit.
Assessment of Progress
We will be taking a quiz every Friday on canvas. Each student will have a canvas account. Students must pass every quiz with at least a D-. Students who do not pass a quiz can retake them until they pass. It is up to the student to retake these quizzes. I will be checking grades and reminding them to retake failed quizzes, but the responsibility to retake the quizzes falls on each student. Most quizzes are 5-10 questions.
We will have a unit test after each chapter. These test will cover everything from the unit. They can also be retaken if the student fails. Again it is the students’ responsibility to find time before or after school to retake these tests.
I have a class set of calculators and math books that must remain in the classroom they cannot be checked out or borrowed.
(The library has a copy of the text book if you need one when I am not available.)
We also have a set of Google chrome books in our classroom. Using the chrome books is privilege not a right. Students will be assigned a specific chrome book for the whole year. If they misuse that chrome book they will not be allowed back on. These chrome books are for math assignments ONLY. Students playing games, on social media or on inappropriate websites will loose their chrome books and have to do alternative assignments.
Class rules: Show lion P.R.I.D.E
- Perseverance: In our classroom perseverance is working hard on every assignment. It is not giving up. It is asking questions. It is not putting your head on the desk and sleeping. Students are required to work and those who are not will be sent to the office and receive a zero for that assignment.
- Respect: In our classroom respect everyone and the facilities in the room. No food, candy, gum, drinks, electronic devices, or cell phones. Any of these items that are visible will be confiscated. This is your warning . Water is allowed.
- Integrity: Integrity in our classroom is being on time and ready to learn with a pencil and paper.
- Decision Making skills: Students are expected to make good decisions by turning in their assignments and staying on top of missing work.
- Excellence: In our classroom I expect your best. This class might be challenging, but I expect students to give it their all.
Students will be given 5 hall passes (20 points) a trimester. Each pass is worth 4 points. I will doc from the 20 points each time the student leaves the class. If there are any extra points at the end of the trimester they will be extra credit. Students must take the hall pass to leave the classroom. Only one student at a time.
If a student is found to be cheating (giving or receiving) by deliberately using unauthorized materials, information, technology, study-aids or giving/receiving improper assistance, the district procedure (4485 P1) will be followed.
I do accept late work. That being said, it is very difficult once a student gets behind so turn in your assignments everyday. Students will be docked points for late work. Be here it is much easier to pass this class if you are here everyday.
I will be available for help Monday-Thursday before school and after school . If more time is needed, contact me and I will make accommodations accordingly.
Calendar of Due Dates for Major Assignments
Quiz every Friday.
I will let students know of up coming tests.
Progress Reports and Report Cards
See powerschool for grades. Grades will be updated every Friday.
Connecting Home to School
Use canvas and powerschool to see missing assignments. You can also email me at email@example.com if you have any questions.