Course Description/Overview/Welcome Statement
Secondary Math I is first year high school algebra. In this class, we will review advanced arithmetic skills like working with fractions. We will explore basic terms of algebra, how to represent a straight line on a graph, and what makes a function. We will look at methods of representing data and statistics. In the course, we will also learn the basic concepts of geometry, congruence, and transformation.
Daily objectives, called Learning Targets, will be reviewed daily. This statement should describe a task you can do by the end of class. Students are expected to participate every day in the activities and discussion. Every lesson will include a practice exercise of 10 to 20 problems to be completed and graded. Students will also receive a score from 1 to 5 based on their participation during the class. These scores will be added and posted as a weekly grade.
Your grade will be based on the percentage of the points earned out of the points possible on the assignments, quizzes, projects and tests given each hex. Typically, assignments, projects and quizzes account for about 70% of the grade and tests for the other 30%. The grade scale is as follows:
93-100% = A
90-92% = A-
87-89% = B+
83-86% = B
80-82% = B-
77-79% = C+
73-76% = C
70-72% = C-
67-69% = D+
63-66% = D
60-62% = D-
Below 60% = F
You are encouraged to check your grades on “Power School” from time to time. Grades will be updated on “Power School” about once each week, usually every Friday. You are encouraged to keep assignments as they are graded and returned. These assignments serve as proof of completion in case an error is made in grading or recording scores. These assignments will be useful later in the year as we revisit some past topics or themes.
Assessment of Progress
Most days will start with a bell-ringer that will include one or two problems that will review previous work. It is therefore, very important to come every day. Every chapter will have a mid-chapter quiz and an end-of-chapter test. You will always be informed when they are and we will review for each of these. We will complete a chapter about every two weeks.
Students will work in a student manual and also complete assignments online. All material will be taken from Integrated Math 1 from Big Ideas Math.
Assignments are given on a near daily basis. Assignments are typically finished in class, but if the student requires extra time, it is expected to be finished as homework. If a student misses a day in class, it is his or her responsibility to find out what they missed and to get any missing assignments they need to make up. We will determine the due date for makeup work and the late policy will apply if the assignment isn’t in by its due date. Exams will be completed in class. If a student is absent when an exam is given, he or she will need to make arrangements to take the exam.
Attendance and Participation
The Independence High School attendance policy will be enforced in this classroom. Refer to the attendance policy on the School website for additional information. Students are expected to participate in class. This includes participating in class discussions, group projects, and activities. Students will receive participation points for each day in class. Students may lose participation points for sleeping in class, talking out of turn, being disruptive, refusing to participate, etc.
Students are responsible for the actions they take and the behavior they use in the classroom. Inappropriate language will result in consequences: warning, conference with teacher, call home, conference with administration, and possible suspension. The same consequence can also be applied to cheating, lying, stealing, disrespect, damage to school property, etc.
All district and school rules apply in this classroom.
The rules are:
⇒ Be respectful of others and other’s property, as well as yourself.
⇒ Be prepared. Come on time and ready to learn and work.
⇒ Be a self-advocate. Ask for help when you need it.
⇒ Be a team player.
⇒ Dream big and expect success!
Calendar of Due Dates for Major Assignments
As mentioned above, chapters are completed about every two weeks, so there will be a quiz or chapter test at the end of every week.
Daily assignments are expected to be completed that day or the following day.