Independence High School is hosting a Festive Christmas Craft Fair and Market on December 2 from 8 am to 6 pm. Come shop at the many art & craft stalls and food trucks. Santa will be available...
We have a winner for our first I Spy contest. Sirinity Vargas found our first picture in Kathryn’s room. It was part of a poster that she has on her wall. Go on in and see if you can find it! Kathryn is one of the awesome Math teachers we have here at IHS. I bet most of you didn’t know that she likes to surf. Here are a few other fun facts about Kathryn.
1. What subject do you teach: Math
2. Favorite Band/Type of Music: Tom Petty
3. Favorite Color: Green
4. Favorite Drink: Lemon Water ( I know so boring, but it’s so refreshing)
5. Favorite Meal: Pizza with ranch or Massaman Curry
6. Favorite Treat/Candy: chocolate chip cookies ( warm, fresh out of the oven) with a glass of milk
7. What is your favorite smell: the salty ocean
8. If you could live anywhere, where would it be? In the ocean, as a mermaid
9. What is your favorite family vacation? Hawaii
10. What motivates you to work hard? I want to be a good teacher, mother, wife, friend and sister. So my students, family and friends motivate me because I want to be the best for them.
11. What is your proudest accomplishment? Running the LA Marathon at age 14.
12. What is your favorite book to read? Harry Potter ( any and all of them)
13. What makes you laugh the most? My husband Trevor ( he’s hilarious), my daughter Margo and The Office.
14. What would you sing at Karaoke night? Brittney Spears “Ops I did it again”
15. Have you ever had a nickname? What is it? Mathryn, my friends loved to call me this in college and when I got my first teaching job as a math teacher. haha
16. What’s the most daring thing you’ve ever done? Probably when I backpacked all over Europe for 6 weeks and went bungee jumping on said trip in Switzerland.
I love teaching at IHS. This is my 7th year here and it’s been amazing! I love seeing my students learn something new and try when they don’t understand. Math can be frustrating, but it’s so rewarding to put in the work and figure it out! That’s something that I love about math! It is so rewarding and used everywhere around us!
(Kathryn bungee jumping in Switzerland June 2014)